BIRD 1.6.2 removes IPv6 kernel routes

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Nov 13 20:59:32 CET 2016

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 03:37:32PM +0100, Robert Sander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an issue with BIRD 1.6.2 from http://bird.network.cz/debian/ on
> Debian jessie:
>
> When bird6 is running and I "ifup" an interface with a static IPv6
> address the address is added but no IPv6 route in the associated network
> via that interface.
>
> When bird6 is not running everything works.
>
> It looks like bird6 1.6.2 is eating IPv6 routes set by the kernel.
> I have not encountered this issue with the IPv4 bird daemon.

Hi

The problem is likely caused by first exporting OSPF route to kernel and
then removing it, but Linux removes both route from BIRD and its own (it
ignores protocol attribute, while in IPv4 it obeys the attribute).

The solution is to specify kernel metric using kernel protocol option
'metric' to some value (different than 0 (unspecified) or 256 (kernel
route)). If you set it to lower value than 256, then your routes got
precendence to kernel routes.