Migration from 1.6.8 to 2.x

bird21 at sensation.net.au bird21 at sensation.net.au
Sat May 11 18:09:27 CEST 2024

Hi everyone,

I currently have a relatively simple IPv4 BGP setup on BIRD 1 (importing
default, advertising a single /24), but now that I will be routing IPv6
for the first time, I thought it may be worth considering moving to BIRD
2.

I am having trouble finding information on how to migrate. Although the
wiki does contain some notes on this, the sample configs in the wiki are
10 years old and appear to be for BIRD 1 only.

It would be really handy to see functionally identical sample configs for
both BIRD 1 and BIRD 2 in the wiki; the post in this thread kind of does
it: https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2020-January/014171.html

I recall a release announcement posted to this list some months ago (maybe
even more than a year) which encouraged people to migrate to 2.x, and
offered some details on how to do it, but I cannot seem to find it now.

Is there a better resource than the wiki for this?

...and since my setup is simple, I'm wondering if maybe I should just run
a second 1.6.8 daemon for IPv6...?

Thanks.