EVPN support in BIRD

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon May 6 15:10:14 CEST 2024

On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 12:24:07PM +0200, Tim Weippert via Bird-users wrote:
> Hi Ondrej,
>
> just a quick question, should bird2 announce type 2 prefixes
> in this state?
>
> i do some tests with an FRR EVPN network and add one bird2 evpn node. I
> receive evpn routes and see them in the appropriate tables (evpntab and
> etab), but while on the FRR side i get only the l2 parts of a type 2
> route if i interpret the output form FRR correctly:
>
> Also i'm wondering should bird2 also add the corresponding arp entries
> to the neigh table in kernel?
>
> Some hints for me where to look further on the issue?

Hi

First, thanks for testing EVPN in BIRD. We do not set IP part of type 2 and
do not use it to configure neigh table. That is optional part of EVPN not
yet supported in BIRD (while setting MAC part and configuring bridge table
is mandatory). Do you need this feature?

Anyway, what was your experience with EVPN in BIRD? Was it understandable
and accessible from user point? Is there anything you missed?