Bird2 on Rocky9.3

Robert Scheck bird at robert-scheck.de
Fri Mar 8 15:52:42 CET 2024

Hello Jakub,

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024, Jakub Ružička wrote:
> latest bird2-2.14-1.e7 is available for Rocky 7 from EPEL, but no 8 or 9
> builds.
>
> Upstream BIRD packaging is tested on Rocky 8 and AlmaLinux 9 which are both
> RHEL clones so it should be easy to build.
>
> I've CC'd Fedora package maintainer in hopes he might do the builds. Note
> that upstream RPM packaging is maintained in distro/pkg/rpm, feel free to
> sync with Fedora dist-git as needed.

I am the package maintainer of BIRD in Fedora and EPEL. I think you made
the mistake to look specifically for "bird2" as package name. However, EPEL
8 and 9 never shipped BIRD 1.x, only 2.x. Thus the "bird" package is 2.x:

--- 8< ---
$ dnf info bird
Last metadata expiration check: 0:33:58 ago on Fri Mar  8 14:06:44 2024.
Available Packages
Name         : bird
Version      : 2.14
Release      : 1.el9
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 500 k
Source       : bird-2.14-1.el9.src.rpm
Repository   : epel
Summary      : BIRD Internet Routing Daemon
URL          : https://bird.network.cz/
License      : GPL-2.0-or-later
Description  : BIRD is a dynamic IP routing daemon supporting both, IPv4 and IPv6, Border
             : Gateway Protocol (BGPv4), Routing Information Protocol (RIPv2, RIPng), Open
             : Shortest Path First protocol (OSPFv2, OSPFv3), Babel Routing Protocol (Babel),
             : Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD), IPv6 router advertisements, static
             : routes, inter-table protocol, command-line interface allowing on-line control
             : and inspection of the status of the daemon, soft reconfiguration as well as a
             : powerful language for route filtering.

$
--- 8< ---

The "bird2" package in EPEL 7 only exists, because the configuration file
must be adapted when migrating from BIRD 1 to 2. Whether BIRD 3.x will lead
to a "bird3" for EPEL 8 and 9 depends on what e.g. Maria is doing (or not
doing) in the code ;-)

By the way: There is no Rocky Linux 7, there is just CentOS (Linux) 7, and
there are Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux 8 and 9. And the latter two projects
stepped up when Red Hat unilaterally terminated the CentOS development in
favor of CentOS Stream in December 2020.

Please note that BIRD 2 is in EPEL 8 since 2019-07-23 and in EPEL 9 since
2021-12-03, which even predates the RHEL 9 final release by about half a
year. Thus no need to use foreign buildsystems or local builds for RHEL 8
and 9 (or clones/derivatives) ;-)

Kind regards

Robert Scheck