Limit of numbers of BGP communities

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Fri Jul 12 15:03:53 CEST 2024

> On 12 Jul 2024, at 14:57, Douglas Fischer <fischerdouglas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, this number of 100 BGP communities has no basis, at least not yet, in the RFC.

A RFC is just a Request For Comments documents.... comments have been given amongst that in the form of the NLNOG BGP Filter Rules and other operators have also voiced their opinions, each network is their own.

There is also no BCP (Best Current Practice) document on this subject; nor a STD (Standard).

Operators can fortunately decide what they accept or not, own network, own rules, bit the point of an Autonomous System.

> It is just a recommendation (a very healthy one, by the way) from the NLNOG team.
>
> As far as I remember, neither the maximum mask limit of /24 for IPv4 nor /48 for IPv6 in a BGP session are defined in RFC as either must or should.
>
> It would be good if it were in the RFCs, but it is not.

In a way, all the NLNOG BGP Filter Rules are effectively a BCP, it is just not a document that went through the IETF process.

As it is a changing target, unlikely that a IETF BCP makes sense either IMHO.

Greets,
 Jeroen