IPv4 next-hops over IPv6

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Tue Apr 23 15:49:22 CEST 2024

Ciao Tore,

if I am not mistaken this is rather easy and "standard":

- Router knows a.b.c.d/x is supposed to be routed via 2001:db::1
- Router can lookup the mac address of 2001:db::1 (usual icmp6)
- Router sends packet for a.b.c.d/x towards mac address of 2001:db::1

That's it.

Cheers,

Nico

p.s.: The first few weeks it feels like magic, the following years that
method feels like AMAZINGLY USEFUL magic ;-)