MPLS L3VPN using bird

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Sep 16 02:58:53 CEST 2022

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 08:08:09PM +0000, Jose Miguel Bentue wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The goal is to gain communication from a linux based host to another PE-CE by using MPLS L3VPN.
>
> To your question:
>
>   *   "configure the PE functionality, connecting to other PE via BGP with MPLS (AFI 1 / SAFI 128) + mpls-labeled packets"
>
> Yes, I understand that's first step and it is done by using "vpn4 mpls" channel, am I right?
> Once the BGP session is established, I see the routes in bird's vpn4 table.

Hello

As Maria wrote, this part is not implemented. Our BGP L3VPN (1/128) code
can be used as a route reflector for other PEs, but not as PE itself.

Coincidently, i just finished improved MPLS support for BIRD [*], which
supports full LSP routing with BGP-based label distribution, and i am
currently working on L3VPN code for PE, it should be usable next week.

Note that even this code is limited to BGP label distribution for MPLS
backbone (no LDP support).

[*] https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird/-/commits/mpls