Projects using Bird as routing engine

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:13:08 CEST 2022

I don't know if such a thing already exists...
But I thought it would be interesting to have some kind of survey of
projects that use BIRD at some point in their structure.

I know for example that http://projectcalico.org/ uses BIRD as a routing
engine.
Or that https://bsdrp.net/ has the possibility to use FRR or BIRD as a
routing engine.

I think it's worth mentioning that Bird has a presence in route-collectors
projects... But which ones? Where?

In IXP? Well... This is BIRD land.
I think we can estimate that more than 80% of IXPs use BIRD as the
Route-Servers engine.
I remember seeing a place that said which route-servers from which IXPs ran
with which BGP engine. But I couldn't find that link easily.

But still within the scope of IXPs and Route-Servers, there are projects
like https://www.ixpmanager.org/ based on the framework it provides to
those who adopt it.
As well as BIRD appears to be the main choose engine at
https://github.com/pierky/arouteserver .

Is it worth mentioning BIRD being used by Netflix in Open Connect
Appliances?

I remember recently seeing a project for an Internet Transit Provider
system, but I don't remember the name of the blessed project.

Does anyone else remember anything else that uses BIRD?
Would it be interesting to put this information on some public page?

--
Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação