Link local vs global v6 next hop for BGP rotuer

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Oct 10 16:05:44 CEST 2022

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 11:25:23AM +0200, Alexander Zubkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In documentation part it is written that the default for the option is
> "disabled". But in the code I see it chooses the value based on
> "gw_mode":
> > Different default for next_hop_prefer
>
> Am I missing something or there is a typo?

Hi

The documentation is a remnant of the original design, where the option
was next_hop_prefer_global bool. Later i changed that to be more symmetric
(next_hop_prefer with NHP_GLOBAL / NHP_LOCAL), but forgot to update the
docs.

Note that for gw_mode == GW_DIRECT, even before the patch we prefererred
the global next hop to link-local (see bgp_apply_next_hop()), so that why
there is a different default based on gw_mode, but the second part
(switching next hop to link-local for gw_mode == GW_DIRECT) is not
implemented yet.