Is BFD extractable from Bird?

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Tue Nov 15 15:06:36 CET 2022

Hello!

> I’m Sudarshan, a software developer at NetApp.
>
> I have been using Bird as a peer for testing BGP functionality of
> NetApp’s Ontap software stack. Thanks to the Bird community!
>
> I looked at Bird’s BFD implementation. Was wondering if it is even
> plausible to extract only the BFD functionality out of Bird
>
> and use it with our existing BGP implementation. I see that BFD is
> tightly integrated with Bird’s core software libraries and
>
> so it doesn’t look like a trivial lift and shift. That said, I wanted to
> check with this group to see if there is a way to do it.

Well, you're completely right about the lifting and shifting. Anyway,
there is always a possibility to find a way unless you prove there is no
way at all.

I can see several possibilities:

(1) use BIRD as a whole, preferably while also negotiating a contract
with CZ.NIC; you'll help us make BIRD better for all and we'll help you
fitting it nice into your setup

(2) write a layer between your internal API and our API, which is, I
suppose, both undocumented on this level, and pray a lot to whichever
deity you believe in

(3) order a truckload of biscuits and coffee and try to convert our BFD
implementation to your core

(4) write BFD yourself from scratch

(5) run BIRD separately with BFD only and write a custom bridge to your
BGP implementation

In cases 2 and 3 (and possibly also 1 and 5), as Laurent Guerby has
noted, you should consult your company lawyers whether your project is
compatible with the GPL.

I'm truly curious what way you choose. Honestly, I think the right way
is "the commercial way" as you're selling your software stack as a
whole. Yes, I'm greedy. I'd love also to extend our development team and
keep making BIRD better, faster and more stable.

Anyway, thank you for asking such a bold question. I hope I've helped
you at least a bit. Last but not least, I'm looking forward to the
future contract and collaboration.

Best Regards,

Maria