bgp keepalive & hold timers

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Nov 9 17:34:07 CET 2022

On Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 12:34:12PM +0100, Alexander Zubkov via Bird-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this "knob" is somewhat orthogonal. Because this limits the
> possible values, but does not sets them. Currently you can set
> keepalive and hold timers and BGP peers choose the minimum hold timer
> among them. This setting is needed if you do not want you peer to set
> some low hold timer for you.

Hi

I agree that this is an ortogonal issue. Hard limit to ensure that the
session is stable w.r.t. keepalive time, and configurable limit to
restrict too low hold time.

I thought that i already implemented it after discussing it in april, but
seems i forgot it, will fix that.

The whole issue is a bit silly, as it is a result of too many knobs that
sometimes does not make sense. Setting keepalive independently of hold
time, when hold time is negotiated (so consistency cannot be validated in
config-parse time), is just bad design. It would be better if keepalive
could be defines as a fraction of negotiated hold time.