hardware recommandation for internet scale route-reflectors

Alexandre Corso alexandre at acorso.fr
Wed Nov 9 13:16:17 CET 2022

Hello Nicolas,

We are using BIRD as route reflector in addition to Juno’s VRR (need some feature like ORR)

The version that we use is 2.0.7 hosted on hypervisor and the VM has:
- RAM: 24G
- CPU: 8vCPU (Xeon CPU)

We have around 30 IPv4 sessions and 30 IPv6 sessions (per instance of Bird)
The memory used is 2G
The number of routes is +9M IPv6 and +1.6M IPv6

Feature used:
- Multiple table
- OSPF
- AF v4/v6 unicast
- BGP add-path

Computation and convergence are quite ok.

>From my experience, we never had issue on convergence since 2 years, what we are missing is add-path with the number of route and ORR.

Best

Alexandre Corso