bgp keepalive & hold timers

Serge G sergei.goriunov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:14:48 CET 2022

Hi,

Not sure if it's still relevant, but I just wanted to propose another
approach. Instead of comparing configured keepalive with the hold timer
received from a peer, it might be more straightforward to add another knob,
e.g. "minimum-hold-timer". (as on Juniper
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/bgp/topics/ref/statement/minimum-hold-time.html;
Nokia also has similar knob)

Reason for this is that (the following is just my opinion) 'keepalive' only
configures an interval for keepalive messages. And if we start using the
value of keepalive timer to enforce some restrictions on peer's hold timer,
this may be confusing.

In other words, "minimum-hold-timer" would more clearly indicate our
restrictions on hold timers. If I see "minimum-hold-timer 30" in the
configuration, I understand that this device has some limitations. If I see
"keepalive 10", it doesn't tell me anything about restrictions, only that
this device will send keepalives every 10 secs.

P.S. I haven't dealt with mailing lists before, so forgive me if I reply to
the wrong thread. This is the thread I;m replying to:
https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2022-April/016071.html