Way to store ROA info so we can accept but view?

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Mon May 30 14:29:27 CEST 2022

Hello!

On 5/30/22 2:04 PM, Douglas Fischer wrote:
> That made me curious...
>
> "Note: REALLY DONT store the validation state inside a bgp_community or
> bgp_large_community or bgp_ext_community variables. It can cause CPU &
> memory overload resulting in convergence performance issues."
>
> Why that ( CPU & memory overload ) would happen?
> Why is that different from a lookup against a Prefix List?

Well, every operation on bgp_*community is implemented as allocating a
new memory for the new value and copying it. Therefore its complexity is
linear with the size of the community list which is something you want
to avoid unless you really want to export this community to your peers.

We may fix this in future, yet now it is not of any priority.

For everything you're storing locally, the custom attributes should be
used, they are faster and we may also add some more fancy features to
them without tampering on BGP itself.

Maria