Merging multiple routes into a single multipath route

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Tue May 3 16:43:15 CEST 2022

Hey Jo,

that is a very interesting and repeating use-case that exists for ... as
long as routing exists?

While I am not sure how I'd solve it with bird, it is probably easy to
solve it statically:

- the next hop (default gateway) in these scenarios are often static
- thus you can easily just create the static route with both gateways
  once (ip route add  default nexthop ..) and be done with it

Alternatively you could Linux VRF with your dhcp client, add the default
routes into a separate table (let's say 101 for the first upstream, 102
for the second upstream) and then use bird to read the routes and write
a new merge route.

HTH,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch