Filter based on BGP protocol status ...

Xavier Trilla xavier.trilla at clouding.io
Wed Mar 23 16:05:31 CET 2022

Hi,

I'm quite sure this cannot be done, but I also know there is a lot of BIRD I still don't know, so here it goes:

Is there any way to filter a export route based on another BGP session status?

For the sake of simplicity let's say we have just two providers A and B, and I only want to export some specific routes to B when A is down.

I can do it externally with a quite simple script (For example: Check if the provider is down via CLI and if it's down insert the routes I want to export to a kernel table and export that to provider B) but it would be nice if I could do it directly in Bird.

I've been scratching my head around this, but unless there is something like if proto.A == down on the filters I don't really see how to do it (Or maybe some way to raise a global flag based on if I'm receiving routes via provider B, but I don't think that can't be done either.)

Thanks for your time!
Xavier