Debian armel test fail blocking transition to testing

Molly Miller bird at m-squa.red
Tue Jun 28 14:41:15 CEST 2022

Hi,

On 28/06/2022 13:03, Maria Matejka wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On 6/28/22 1:42 PM, Jakub Ružička wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> bird-2.0.10 builds fine on most of Debian archs, but on armel, hppa,
>> and riscv64 there is a failing test:
>>
>> obj/filter/trie_test: t_trie_walk: Timeout expired
>> obj/filter/trie_test: t_trie_walk 5.010453063s [FAIL]
>> obj/filter/trie_test 12.572917503s [FAIL]
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:180: obj/filter/trie_test.ok] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>'
>> dh_auto_test: error: make -j4 test "TESTSUITEFLAGS=-j4 --verbose"
>> VERBOSE=1 returned exit code 2
>> make: *** [debian/rules:21: build-arch] Error 25
>
> Are these build machines physical or virtual? I would suppose that the
> trie walk test just times out due to too tight test timeouts. It takes 3
> seconds on my laptop.
>
> Are you ok with trying to push a version where these timeouts would be
> set to 60 seconds instead of 5?

I've also had this issue in the past, where the trie tests would time
out when building Bird packages for ARM devices. As far as I remember, I
was building on bare metal on a Raspberry Pi at the time, and increasing
the timeout from 5 to 60 seconds solved the issue on that hardware.

I kept this change as a vendor patch in my own tree at the time, given
the hardware-dependent nature of how long these tests take to run, but
as it seems that multiple people are running into this, it might be
worth changing upstream in order to better accommodate slower hardware.

Cheers,
--mm.