Feature request: CARP awareness in BIRD?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Jun 3 17:40:23 CEST 2022

On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 04:16:53PM +0200, Thomas Steen Rasmussen wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I am using BIRD on FreeBSD and it is working okay, apart from missing CARP
> awareness. I am wondering if anyone knows if work has been done in this area
> already?
>
> Ideally BIRD would understand CARP semantics so when it has a DIRECT
> protocol it would only consume the routes from CARP MASTER VHIDs, and
> consider the CARP BACKUP VHID IPs as unusable.
>
> Please consider this a feature request. I am interested getting some BIRD
> experts opinion on 1) is this a feature you would be willing to include in
> BIRD and 2) how big a job is it?

Hello

That is an interesting idea, and from your description it seems like not
hard to support, esp. if that is just some kind of flag on iface/address.

But i do not have experience with this, so i have some questions:

1) it is per-iface state or per-address state?

2) Could you send me output of ifconfig for master/backup/non-carp iface
for comparison?

3) If someone use that on Linux, could send me output of 'ip address show'
for these ifaces?

4) What is a general behavior of backup ifaces/ips? Are they usable, or
it is more like iface that is AdminUp/OperDown (in SNMP terminology)?

> Thanks in advance, and thank you for BIRD; even without CARP support it is
> already awesome.

Thanks, glad to read that.