Feature request: CARP awareness in BIRD?

Thomas Steen Rasmussen thomas at gibfest.dk
Thu Jun 2 16:16:53 CEST 2022

Hello :)

I am using BIRD on FreeBSD and it is working okay, apart from missing
CARP awareness. I am wondering if anyone knows if work has been done in
this area already?

As you may know, CARP is a patent-free VRRP alternative originally from
OpenBSD. A network interface can have one or more VHIDs, each VHID can
be either MASTER or BACKUP. The IPs tied to a VHID are only usable when
the VHID is MASTER.

Currently "birdc show interfaces" shows no difference between two nodes
where one is CARP MASTER and the other is CARP BACKUP. The consequence
of this is that BIRD thinks it has a working local direct route which it
then tries to use, but the OS refuses, since it understands that VHID is
CARP BACKUP.

Ideally BIRD would understand CARP semantics so when it has a DIRECT
protocol it would only consume the routes from CARP MASTER VHIDs, and
consider the CARP BACKUP VHID IPs as unusable.

Please consider this a feature request. I am interested getting some
BIRD experts opinion on 1) is this a feature you would be willing to
include in BIRD and 2) how big a job is it?

I would be willing to pay to have it developed, although I am just
myself so I don't have unlimited funds.

Thanks in advance, and thank you for BIRD; even without CARP support it
is already awesome.

Best regards,

Thomas Steen Rasmussen