FW: use Bird as Route Server for Balcan-IX

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Tue Jul 19 10:45:38 CEST 2022

Hello!
> The typical setup is one BIRD instance per Route Server IP(v6+v4). Bird
> 1.6.x is two daemons, one for v6 and one for v4. Bird >= 2.0.0 is one
> daemon for both v6 and v4.

and I'd suggest using BIRD 2 for now as versions 1.6.x are considered
legacy; they are not getting any more updates, just security

I'd also suggest at least trying if BIRD 3 could work for you, provided
you don't need the buggy features, most notably MRT dumping and also
checking ROA while displaying routes to CLI.

> "CZ.NIC provides a support programme for BIRD, with prices ranging from
> 5,000 to 50,000 Euro per year. Current customers are primarily IXPs and
> large CDN/cloud providers. These fees cover all development costs."
>
> It's free to use the software. There do exist a support program to
> support the continued development of the project.

… if you'd like to get some paid support and also support the
development, the bird-support at network.cz e-mail address is the right
place to go.

> Standard virtualization will do. With adequate HW resources allocated to
> the VM. Your main concern will of course be Memory and CPU resources as
> the number of peers and prefixes growing over time (this is a long-term
> consideration). Note, if selecting BIRD, it is a single-threaded daemon,
> and clock speed versus core count should be considered, when selecting
> what HW and operational model (the single BIRD per RS or similar to
> IX.br's multi-bird setup).

I'd suggest not prefering clock speed any more as BIRD 3 is getting its
next version really soon. If your load is so high for you to consider
clock speed, you should probably migrate to BIRD 3 as soon as it gets
stable for you, thus needing the high core count anyway.

Maria