Dynamic reconfigurations of bird - how?

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Sat Jul 9 10:44:26 CEST 2022

Good morning fellow bird users,

I was wondering how you handle "dynamic reconfigurations" such as
rerouting, adding filters, changing the priority of routes in case of
attacks?

In particular I wonder if there is a "good way" to tell bird to lower or
raise a certain route temporarily, i.e. something that would be reset on
a reload? Or to tell bird to forget about specific routes that you want
to filter for blackholing certain parts?

So far in case of attacks we usually edit bird.conf, reload
bird and after the attacks are done, purge/overwrite the config with our
config management (cdist in our case).

This works, but has a bit of a write-reload instead of a set-and-forget
behaviour, and I was more looking to something like "set on a switch,
but don't issue the write command"-mode.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch