Let packets from different BGP go to different routing tables

Brandon Zhi Brandon at huize.asia
Wed Jul 13 08:08:29 CEST 2022

Hello fellow birdies,

I'm having some difficulty connecting the nodes.

Our network provides free IP Transit service so we need to carry downstream.

We use OpenVPN/Wireguard connection between our nodes. We plan to use VLAN
on OpenVPN or use GRE on Wireguard. This way, we have 2 interfaces tunnel1
and tunnel2 between each node.

We created a bgp_v6 (IBGP) session on tunnel1 that allows downstream BGP
sessions like HE(Hurricane Electric) and put the routing table into table
147.

Create bgp_v6_own(IBGP) on tunnel2 to transmit those routing tables from
BGP that cannot carry downstream to Table 247

Then we use ip rule
Direct traffic to the correct routing table based on the interface.

My English is not very good so I drew a picture for a description.

link :
https://i.postimg.cc/dtBDC4kh/photo-2022-07-12-12-54-28.jpg

[image: image.png]
The problem I'm having is that in IXP all BGP sessions differ only by IP or
MAC.

For instance:

We have only one interface for BGP:      ens18
And our IP Address is:  2a0f:5707:ffe3::57 AS141011
Our customers assume is: 2a0f:5707:ffe3::1 AS1
Our upstream which allowed downstream:2a0f:5707:ffe3::30 AS6939

Therefore we have a BGP session with AS1 and a BGP session with AS6939
AS6939 > Table 147

How should we get traffic from our downstream AS1 into Table 147?

We have discussed using VLANs, but VLANs are usually not allowed in IXPs.

The second solution is to use the ip rule to put every prefix from the
downstream into Table 147, which is very inefficient.

Do you have a better solution?

Thanks

--
*Brandon Zhi*
HUIZE LTD

www.huize.asia  <https://huize.asia/>| www.ixp.su | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/zhihuiyuze>

This e-mail and any attachments or any reproduction of this e-mail in
whatever manner are confidential and for the use of the addressee(s) only.
HUIZE LTD can’t take any liability and guarantee the text of the email
message and virus.