Two router ha setup questions

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Jan 22 01:52:48 CET 2022

On 1/21/22 8:22 AM, George Ross wrote:
> Would it help if you announce different MED values?  That way upstream
> should prefer one while it's up, but fail over to the other when
> it's not.

I'd be inclined to investigate different MED values too.

Though I'd probably announce two /24s, which would allow you to have
crossed MED values.  E.g. router A has one MED for the first /24 and a
second MED for the second /24 while router B has the second MED for the
first /24 and the first MED for the second /24.  The hope is that each
/24 will have affinity to one router, thus pseudo load balancing and
utilization of both links, while still being an active backup for the
other /24.

If your problem is an out of order / reordering issue, I'd expect that
sniffing traffic on any system in the /23 would make this very apparent
in Wireshark.  TCP /should/ handle this without any problems.

Are you by chance doing any SPI on either of the routers?  Is there any
chance that the timeout is actually related to traffic flows switching
which router they are coming in on and the new router's SPI not having
state, thus evicting the flow?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die