OSPF default metric

Marcus Büttemeyer marcus.buettemeyer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:40:17 CEST 2022

Hello again,
I'm wondering how OSPF default metrics are calculated by BIRD?
Background: I'm running 4 Linux VMs with BIRD under Hyper-V and BIRD gives
me a metric of 10 for every connection, be it 10G (which seems to be the
default for vSwitches on Hyper-V), 1G or wireless. Even though the physical
speed is passed from the hypervisor to the VMs. At least "cat
/sys/class/net/INT/speed" gives the proper value.
If I knew where the metric comes from, I could try to fix that on the
OS-level and save myself separate cost definitions for every interface.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus Büttemeyer