On the possibility of updating BGP passwords without network disruption.

Bernd Naumann bernd at kr217.de
Mon Aug 8 20:31:32 CEST 2022

On 08.08.22 16:58, Calvin Zachman wrote:
> Hi BIRD users,
>
> Does anyone know whether a BGP shared secret can be rotated without
> incurring any network downtime? I did some testing with the BGP password
> functionality offered and it appears that any update to the BGP password
> configuration incurs a brief network outage with both existing/new
> connections. It seems like something about the way BIRD is restarting is
> leading to it pulling down learned routes immediately as opposed to
> letting them live according to the timeout setting. Does BIRD flush all
> routes it has learned when this configuration changes? Here is a brief
> excerpt to demonstrate the outage. Take note that the network disruption
> precisely matches the timestamp at which BIRD is reconfigured:

Hey Calvin,

It is not explicit mentioned in the user documentation but for babel,
bfd, ospf, and others, you can do something like:

```
password "<text>";
password "<text>" {
	id <num>;
	generate from "<date>";
         generate to "<date>";
         accept from "<date>";
         accept to "<date>";
         from "<date>";
         to "<date>";
};
```

The ospf sections contains the following example:
```
password "abc" {
	id 1;
         generate to "22-04-2003 11:00:06";
         accept from "17-01-2001 12:01:05";
};
password "def" {
	id 2;
         generate to "22-07-2005 17:03:21";
         accept from "22-02-2001 11:34:06";
};
```

A while ago I tested it with OSPF and BFD, and used `include` statements
for the passwords, and used `birdc configure` for a "soft" reload. As
far as I remember, this just worked(tm).

But no warranties that this is implemented for BGP, too. It's just wild
guessing.

Best and good luck,
Bernd