bgp link bandwidth extended community question

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Apr 19 15:31:07 CEST 2022

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 12:45:29AM -0700, gautham devalapalli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using BIRD 2.0.8 to establish a bgp session with a nexus switch. I am
> trying to set bgp ext community link bandwidth. Since this is not
> explicitly supported I am following the thread below to set it as unknown.
>
> https://marc.info/?l=bird-users&m=142108436602254&w=2
>
> I tried setting
> *bgp_ext_community.add((unknown 0x4004,65000,1000));*
>
> *and *
> *bgp_ext_community.add((unknown 0x4004, 65000, 0x447a0000));*
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-idr-link-bandwidth-07#section-2
>
> *bird bgp config:*
> protocol bgp ebgp_node01 {
> local 10.0.10.3 as 65000;
> neighbor 10.0.10.1 as 100;

> On wireshark I see the bird does not send this ext community as part of the
> bgp UPDATE message.

The link bandwidth extended community is non-transitive. From the draft you linked:

   The extended community is optional non-transitive. The value of the
   high-order octet of the extended Type Field is 0x40.

That means it is not propagated through EBGP, only through IBGP.
Different ASNs -> EBGP (unless configured as AS confederation).