Scaling BFD support

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Apr 1 18:41:46 CEST 2022

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 08:44:50AM -0300, Douglas Fischer wrote:
> The question raised by colleague Irene reminded me of a topic that may or
> may not be the focus of BIRD's development.
>
> I imagine that the biggest supporters of SMP/Multi-Core/Thread-Safe
> evolution on BIRD are Operators of Route-Servers of large IXPs, and
> operators of large-scale Route-Reflectors.
>
> Although BFD has its greatest use in the transport network and Underlay, it
> is increasingly common to see the use of BFD in BGP Internet.
>
> I'm personally overly excited about what BIRD version 3 is demonstrating in
> terms of vertical scalability.
>
> But I keep imagining that, even having scalability in the BGP engine, it is
> almost prohibitive to use BFD in a scenario with a thousand BGP Peers.
>
> Is there any view from the IBRD development team for this matter?
> Or even... Is there any open project focused on BFD that can address this?

Hmm, that is a good point. It would make sense to have multiple BFD
threads, but i think that it is more a question of improving I/O loop
performance in BIRD, as thousand peers with 100ms period is about 10 kpps
UDP rate, which should be manageable even from a single thread. We should
make some effort to do some benchmarking for BFD.