IP addresses assigning via Bird

Blažej Krajňák blazej.krajnak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 19:01:39 CEST 2021

Hello,

> There is no such feature and we aren't sure about implementing that. Is
> there any good reason to do this instead of setting static IP
> configuration in the appropriate system configuration (e.g.
> /etc/network/interfaces)?

The main reason why to not use system configuration from
/etc/network/interfaces is requirement to do down-up procedure with
interface which affects network traffic.
It is possible to IP addresses via "ip address ..." statement, however
this changes are not persistent. Doing it all doubly - changing
/etc/network/interfaces for persistent setting and then "ip address
..." for running machine can bring bugs and inconsistency. Bird config
file is tested before applying and it makes it safe and simple.