default protocol preference values

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Sep 7 19:26:34 CEST 2021

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 04:33:26PM +0000, Ponikierski, Grzegorz wrote:

> Thanks for providing that. I was thinking about the same but couldn't find it in the manual.

Yes, we should put it there.

> Additional question is do I see it correctly that bird in comparison to Cisco/Juniper does reverse logical so higher value means "more preferred" route?

That is true, but note a change in name. Cisco calls it 'administrative
distance', so it makes sense that lower is better. We call it 'preference',
so it makes sense that higher is better (more preferred).

It is Juniper who calls it 'preference', but counterintuitively uses lower
is better meaning.