Contributing to BIRD

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Nov 13 17:58:46 CET 2021

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 09:38:31PM +0100, Jan Prukner wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> my name is Jan, I am a backend developer. I'd like to get to know BIRD's
> codebase.
>
> My main motivation is to improve my C language skills. I used BIRD some time
> ago and am interested in networking.
>
> I started reading the Coder's Doc 2.0. Do you accept contributions from
> people outside of CZ.NIC? If you do, what one can do to contribute? Any
> tasks suitable for newcommers?

Hello

Welcome, we generally accept external contributions. The process is usual,
by sending patches to the mailing list, but sometimes it takes me longer
to respond, so do not be discouraged and remind me.

What tasks are suitable for you is a difficult question, depends on what
you are interested in. For example, i would like if someone wrote unit
tests for lib/ip.h and lib/net.h (like there are for most other code
in lib/), but i am afraid that is too dull task to offer.