ospf ptp link sending unicast packets instead of multicast; peer address config not required

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun May 9 15:40:47 CEST 2021

On Sat, May 08, 2021 at 03:45:36PM +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-05-07 at 14:03 +0000, Senthil Kumar Nagappan wrote:
> > Hi Jocke,
> >
> > yes i missed to take care of the ospfv3/ipv6 cases wherever im sending using allospfrouters as src ip.
> > your are right, mcast changes in packet.c is mostly hack since im not comfortable with the bird code since i have only 1 week of bird code experience.
> > reason i did not change inside ospf_send_to() is,since dst address is one of the parameter to the function and i don't want to override inside it.
> > In Hello.c, ospf_send_hello they do some what similar, checking different interface types before they call ospf_send_to()
>
> Ondrej, what is your preference? Perhaps you want to do the impl. yourself?

Hi

I think that ospf_send_to() should stay as lower-level function that send
packet as it is told. I took the patch and refactored it a bit so most code
uses either ospf_send_to_nbr() or ospf_send_to_iface(). Here:

https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird/-/commit/bc591061f618cdc35cf21c7973a660f8d7018b43

(and the previous commit)

Note that the original patch from Senthil also does some more changes
i will merge in the next patch. I am splitting it to two independent changes:

1) Always use AllSPFRouters on PtP networks

2) Allow ifaces with just host address (and not peer address) as PtP ifaces.

The second patch requires more work, is it is not commited yet.