ospf ptp link sending unicast packets instead of multicast; peer address config not required

Senthil Kumar Nagappan sknagappan at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 15:46:18 CEST 2021

 Hi Ondrej,
using latest bird cloned a week back and using montavista linux.yes, i verified using tcpdump, in one of the interface capture where the adj is stuck in exstart state, only hello packets and unresolved arp requests are seen. (please see the attached eth2.pcap) and in the other eth1.pcap adj is FULL and you can notice db pkts are unicast.Using a proprietary hw/sim and don't have a general purpose linux setup to try.
forget about the route lookup, for the configuration that i mentioned, only one of adj is up and other is down. why? Do you think this configuration will work in the standard linux system, were both the adj comes up fine?
Thanks and Regards,Senthil

    On Friday, May 7, 2021, 04:39:32 PM GMT+5:30, Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org> wrote:

 On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 04:53:44AM +0000, Senthil Kumar Nagappan wrote:
>  Hi Joakim,
> Thanks for your response.
> Will try to elaborate point2 with sample config.
> 1. Config at Router R1
> lo interfaceinterface loopback lo has ip addr 100.100.100.125
> eth1for unnumbered borrowing the lo address for eth1 and 100.100.100.126 is the peer addressip addr add 100.100.100.125 peer 100.100.100.126 dev eth1
> eth2for unnumbered borrowing the lo address for eth2 and 100.100.100.126 is the peer addressip addr add 100.100.100.125 peer 100.100.100.126 dev eth2
> 2. Config at Router R2Its identical to R1 config except for the loopback ip which is 100.100.100.126 and the correspondingpeer address config for eth1 and eth2
>
> 3. Enable ospf on eth1 and eth2 at R1 and R2
> 4. Only one of the ospf adj will become FULL either over eth1 or eth2 and not both
> 5. Since the peer address configurations adds a route to other end loopback address and since thedb packets are sent as unicast, route lookup happens and db packets wont be sent out from one of the links.

I do not think that should be true (at least on Linux). OSPF sockets are
bound to specific interface using SO_BINDTODEVICE and use SO_DONTROUTE to
avoid route lookups, so even unicast packets should be sent to specific
interface. If that really happens, that is worth investigating. What is
your OS and BIRD version? Did you verify that using tcpdump or similar
tool?