Question Regarding Extracting BGP RIB and FIB data from BIRD

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Jun 24 14:05:03 CEST 2021

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 07:49:41PM +0000, Ali Monfared wrote:
> Hello BIRD team,
>
> We have recently started to use BIRD in an internal project as a router server which is expected to perform most of the regular operations that our BGP routers do.
> On that note, we are looking for best practices to extract the RIB and FIB BGP routes from the BIRD server.

> We have noticed that most of the BGP attributes for any route that is
> sent to the BIRD server is available inside the logs of the BIRD server
> but was wondering if there are better ways or best practices that you
> would suggest if we want to have a way to extract each BGP route that is
> received in the BIRD server ( so that we can later send it to internal
> databases for further analysis )

Hello

Probably the best way with current code is to configure mrt dump feature
to either dump received/sent BGP routes, or periodic dumps of routing table
(or both) in interoperable MRT format.

Soon, we plan to have BMP (BGP Monitoring Protocol) support, but the code
for that is not yet production quality.