BGP sessions flapping before daemon restart

Alarig Le Lay alarig at swordarmor.fr
Fri Feb 19 10:47:15 CET 2021

Hi,

Yesterday I added six sessions on a router (3 v4, 3 v6). First, all new
sessions were flapping, then the v6 one went stable, but the v4 one were
still flapping.
I restarted bird and then all the sessions became stable. So I don’t
understand why it was limited to IPv4 and why the restart fixed it, and
why other sessions weren’t flapping as well (there are 16 in total).

Here are pcaps in case I missed something obvious.
https://herbizarre.swordarmor.fr/garbage/documents/bird_bgp_flap-1.pcap
https://herbizarre.swordarmor.fr/garbage/documents/bird_bgp_flap-2.pcap
My side is the Intel MAC.

The router has an uptime 147 days, so bird was pretty close to that. I’m
running a 4.14.x kernel.

Regards,
--
Alarig Le Lay