OSPF/general question: Using v6 next-hop for v4 routes

Sebastian Hahn bird_users at sebastianhahn.net
Mon Dec 6 09:18:30 CET 2021

Hi there,

I've been trying to remove v4 transit nets from my setup. This seems to
work well for BGP (both eBGP and iBGP) - I have routes for all external
v4 addresses with the appropriate next hop set. For my internal routing,
I'm using OSPF, but it seems OSPF does not allow v6 next hops for v4
routes. Checking RFC 5838 seems to imply that this is a general design
choice for OSPF, but I am not sure if my reading is correct. Also, are
there any practical drawbacks for this kind of setup that I may have
missed when choosing it for BGP?

Thanks, also for any pointers how to achieve the intended setup!
Sebastian