Quick suggestion about enable/disable protocol

bird21 at sensation.net.au bird21 at sensation.net.au
Wed Dec 1 06:05:11 CET 2021

Hi,

Is this list the place to discuss feature requests? Please let me know if
there's somewhere more appropriate.

Re enable/disable <prot> available in CLI, but not config:

1. Allow enable/disable to be part of the config, so that a protocol can
be disabled by default, and needs a manual poke via CLI command to enable
it. For example, a backup session that will only be enabled when the main
link is down.

2a. When reloading config, preserve the current state of a protocol that
has been disabled. (I'm trying to debug a config, which involves disabling
a particular BGP session, but every time I reload config BIRD re-enables
the session.)

2b. An explicit "enable" directive in config (see #1) could also be used
to make it clear that a reload *should* enable this protocol regardless of
its previous state.

Thanks!