BIRD 2.0.8 packaging update

Jakub Ružička jakub.ruzicka at nic.cz
Mon Apr 19 13:35:23 CEST 2021

Hello Skyler,

I'm glad you like the idea! There is currently no support for selecting
architecture for `apkg build`, but you can create source package (`apkg
srcpkg`) and build it using tool of your choice with correct parameters.

For bird-2.0.8 that would be:

apkg get-archive
apkg srcpkg -a pkg/archives/upstream/bird-2.0.8.tar.gz
$PKGBUILDTOOL $OPTS
pkg/srcpkgs/debian-unstable/bird2-2.0.8-1/bird2_2.0.8-cznic.1.dsc

However, an --arch option should probably be added to `apkg build` in
the future to make things as convenient as possible. I was starting
obligatory "feel free to open feature request" but I see you're already
one step ahead (👌) so we can continue discussion there :)

https://gitlab.nic.cz/packaging/apkg/-/issues/38

Since you've already bothered with testing apkg (thanks a lot, great it
works on your machine!), feel free to test `apkg srcpkg` as suggested
above and let me know if it does what you wanted or any other issues you
hit on the way.

Once distro/scripts/make-dev-archive.sh is fixed to produce same
archive/tarball from git repo as is used for upstream release, tha
-a/--archive can be omitted to build pkg/srcpkg directly from current
sources. For now only upstream archives work.

Finally, apkg is a tool by packagers for packagers so feedback and
feature requests from the wild are most appreciated and I'll be sure to
actively address all of it in order to create an upstream packaging tool
that's mostly painless to use. TBH it's two decades overdue...

Cheers,
Jakub 📦