Exporting routes to kernel fail with EHOSTUNREACH

Joachim Desroches j.desroches at e-durable.ch
Fri Apr 2 16:25:10 CEST 2021

On 2021-04-02, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 02:27:45PM +0200, Joachim Desroches wrote:
> > What I've checked:
> >
> >  * The upstream is up, pings, routes, etc...
> >  * Bird has the proper routes in the master6 table: it really is only
> >    the kernel that refuses to install the route.
> >  * I've rebooted the router (who knows...)
> >  * master6 contains 113338 routes, but `ip -6 r | wc -l` gives me only
> >    8172 routes.
>
> Do you have a direct route for the iface in the kernel table,
> or perhaps you lose it for some reason?

Good catch! The only route to the upstream was via the upstream, as
installed by bird. Adding manually a static route for the upstream
through the interface did the trick.

I'm rather flabbergasted as to why the kernel-generated route isn't in
the table though. I was under the impression that the kernel generated
routes for associated subnets when a masked address was added to an
interface (it's a /124 IPv6 in my case).

Thank you for your help Ondrej, have a good day :)

Ave atque vale,

--
Joachim Desroches