A study on community-triggered updates in BGP

Maria Matějka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Sat Oct 17 19:39:05 CEST 2020

Hello!

If I read your paper correctly, I assume that this is just a feature of the BGP itself. To make it clear: I read that in some cases when a link inside one AS goes down, a route is reannounced with the same AS path but different communities because of e.g. some internal tagging which you call duplicate. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is definitely something for the admin of that AS whether they want to share such an information outside or not. We can't say from a global perspective whether they shall or shan't reannounce that route. They may want to, they may not want to reannounce. It depends on lots of things.

So from my perspective, as a developer of BIRD, this is a matter of configuration. If some of your routers do some tagging, it's your configuration as well as the configuration of the outbound router where you can strip these tags if you want.

BIRD shall be never smarter than its user.

There is also another thing that in case of egress filtering, BIRD may send a duplicate announcement if it is not sure about the contents of the previous route. From my point of view, it is a tradeoff. We save memory by not keeping the Adj-RIB-Out by default. This can be switched on by the "export table on" setting in the appropriate bgp channel with the cost of some memory overhead.

I hope I've answered you well, feel free to discuss or correct me if I misunderstood anything.

Thank you for the research. BTW, do you have an estimation on how frequently does it happen?

Maria