Passive BGP configuration

Robert Scheck bird at robert-scheck.de
Tue Nov 17 00:37:47 CET 2020

Hello Ondrej,

On Sun, 15 Nov 2020, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> Could you try add 'passive' to the working example to see whether the
> issue is related to one-way establishment, or neighbor-range mode?

yes, adding 'passive' to the working example keeps it still working.

> Also, do you have any messages in logs related to that
> (esp. if you enable debug logging)?

Not really. Having...

log syslog all;
debug protocols all;

...on both, r1 and r2, leads on r2 to:

bird[18503]: Started
bird[18503]: r1: Started
bird[18503]: r1: Connect delayed by 5
bird[18503]: r1: Connecting to 2001:db8:1::1 from local address ::

On r1, there is nothing related to r2, while I am seeing via tcpdump
inbound BGP connections from r2 (being unanswered). However, running
"telnet r1 179" from r2 leads at least to a BGP protocol related reply
(within the telnet connection) from r1.

Regards,
  Robert