Bird2 for Debian Jessie?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Jul 16 13:18:21 CEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 10:31:39AM +0200, Chriztoffer Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 at 07:02, Skyler Mäntysaari <samip537 at kapsi.fi> wrote:
> > It seems weird to have it only in unstable/testing tough, as coming from
> > Ubuntu and it's there already without needing to do really anything to
> > repos.
>
> Ubuntu is progressive compared to Debian being more conservative.
>
> Debian is simply in line with what the developers intentions.

Hi

We have bird2 packages at https://bird.network.cz/debian/ for Buster (10)
and Stretch (9). We do not have bird2 packages for Jessie (8) as it is
already EOL.

There are no bird2 packages in Debian Stable just because we did not
manage to make them before Debian Stable freeze.

> I highly doubt we are going to see bird2 package included in Debian
> stable, before the Dev team being BIRD releases their own Debian build
> and officially confirms bird2 to be the "new stable" and bird1 to be
> the "old stable" release.

Well, bird1 is currently more 'legacy', it will get important bugfixes,
but probably no new features. I already use bird2 in production, and we
nudge big users to switch to bird2.