Bird 2 for CentOS/EPEL 6?

Robert Scheck bird at robert-scheck.de
Wed Jul 1 22:05:34 CEST 2020

On Wed, 01 Jul 2020, Tim Meusel wrote:
> I'm happily using Bird 2 on multiple CentOS 7 nodes. Sadly I now need to
> rollout BGP to some CentOS 6 boxes :sadface:. I noticed that
> ftp://bird.network.cz/pub/bird/centos/ only contains CentOS 7 packages,
> and EPEL 6 only has Bird 1.6.8. However I wanted to ask if Bird 2 would
> work on CentOS 6? Would Bird itself compile but dependencies are
> outdated/missing?

since BIRD 2.0.5, a C compiler newer than contained in CentOS 6 is needed;
I had to drop BIRD 2 from EPEL 6 due to this. See also the old thread here:

 - http://trubka.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2019-August/013634.html
 - http://trubka.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2019-August/013631.html

But given CentOS 6 reaches end of lifetime in November (!), please migrate
these boxes to CentOS 8 or at least 7. There, BIRD 2 is even in EPEL :)

Regards,
  Robert