Static route preference incorrect for value 0

Kenth Eriksson Kenth.Eriksson at infinera.com
Wed Jan 15 09:07:37 CET 2020

On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 16:39 +0100, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:

> Preference value 0 is undefined in BIRD. It does not work even if set
> using 'preference' keyword for whole protocol. Although it probably
> should generate some warning/error.

Ok I see. Unfortunately that makes it deviate even more from
Cisco/Juniper administrative distance that can range from 0-255.

> Also, i do not remember which patch exactly i sent you, but i think
> that proper syntax for multiple routes with different preference was
> 'preference X;', not 'preference=X;'. The second one is just generic
> per-route filter code.

I posted your patch on the list in May 2019;
https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2019-May/013355.html

It did not compile so I fixed that in patch 2;
https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2019-May/013356.html

And then aligned the preference syntax in patch 3;
https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2019-May/013357.html

> We planned to do some deeper review of static protocol code that improves
> several issues including handling of multiple routes, so we did not
> merged this small patches, but we did not managed that yet.

Great, hope to see that in a release really soon :)