Multi thread support

Maria Matějka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Fri Jan 10 17:52:27 CET 2020

Yes.

To be more specific, e. g. parallel filter processing is already in development, it even runs, yet it is somehow efficient only for long running filters. Import/export all is more than 100 times slower for now.

It may happen that some multithreading will be released maybe during 2020. There is still quite a big technological debt to be paid until we can deem at least some parts of BIRD thread-safe. Even the new filter code is not thread-safe completely as it calls old routines without appropriate locking.

I don't promise anything. BIRD's architecture relies heavily on single thread execution and all the code has to be thoroughly checked until we can run something in parallel.

Maria