OSPF protocol and export filters for E2 routes

Nigel Kukard nkukard at LBSD.net
Wed Dec 9 18:48:18 CET 2020

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if someone knows the answer to this, here is the setup...

R1 => R2 => R3

- R1 advertises a route (in this case 0.0.0.0/0)  to R2  (from static or
kernel)

- R2 accepts the route with "import all"

- R2 has a filter for the route with "export my_filter;" and in that
filter there is a "reject;"

- R3 should not receive the route, correct?

What I am seeing is this works 100% as expected in RIP.

When I try the same thing with OSPF, I am not seeing it being rejected
on R2. Infact, I am not seeing the E2 route at all pass through the
export filter. But I am receiving it on R3.

I just want to make sure this is expected or unexpected behavior?

My use case is if R1 advertises a default route via OSPF, I was looking
at filtering that default route out on R2 so it is not advertised to R3.

-N