Direct routes and OSPF

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Dec 1 16:41:10 CET 2020

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 09:17:31AM +1300, Alasdair Muckart wrote:
> I've got a question about importing direct routes and interaction with BGP & OSPF.
>
> We have an issue with BIRD (1.6.3) when we do a 'configure soft' we end up with
> linknet routes being learned via indirect paths over OSPF which breaks BFD and BGP.

Hi

I would suggest to upgrade to latest version (either 1.6.8 or from BIRD 2.0).

There were some changes w.r.t. propagation of direct routes to kernel. It
is also dependent on platform (Linux or BSD), and it is generally a bit
fragile part.

In BIRD 2.0 on Linux we fixed most theser issues by using (by default)
kernel metric 32 for BIRD routes, so they do not collide/overwrite with
existing kernel routes. IMHO it is possible do the same even in BIRD 1.6
by manually configure 'metric' option in kernel protocol.