Syntax for show route and primary route (*)?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Oct 23 13:38:01 CEST 2019

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 09:11:31AM +0000, Kenth Eriksson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> When showing routing table, the output can have '*', '!' or empty depending on the route. I thought that the asterisk ('*')
> meant that the route is a primary route installed into the kernel. But this does not seem to always be true, e.g.

Hi

The asterisk means the route is selected as best (i.e. is the first of
routes for the same network). This does not mean that the route is
exported to kernel. For example in route reflectors / route servers, a
route is selected as best and propagated to BGP peers, but no Kernel
protocol is configured.

But i do not understand the cases below, where there is no other route
for that network and the only route does not have asterisk.