BGP graceful restart for software update only?

Neil Jerram neil at tigera.io
Thu Oct 17 12:29:28 CEST 2019

In my setup, an instance of BIRD runs all the time, except for when it
needs to be restarted for a software update.

For that update scenario, I'd like BGP graceful restart to apply, so that
the stop-update-restart process does not cause the routes advertised by
this BIRD to be withdrawn from the rest of the BGP network.

For all other scenarios, however, I don't want any graceful restart.
Specifically, if there's a break in connectivity to a BGP peer, I want to
detect that as quickly as possible (with BFD), locally to remove the routes
learned from that peer, and for that peer to remove routes learned from me,
all immediately.

Is there some combination of configuration and procedure that can provide
both of those desires?

Many thanks,
     Neil