IPv6, route reflectors and link-local nexthops

Jan-Philipp Litza jpl at plutex.de
Fri Oct 11 09:22:36 CEST 2019

Hi Ondrej,

> Not really sure how that might happen with direct session. What is your
> BIRD version and configs? What routes do you have in routing table?

I'm using a self-compiled bird 2.0.6. RR and R1 have full-views (plus
some internals), so I'm not sure what to answer to "what routes". The
complete configs are a bit complicated (lots of templates and dozens of
other BGP protocols), but the essentials (only the relevant IPv6
protocols and filters) are pretty standard I'd say:

RR's config:

protocol device {
}

protocol bgp R1 {
	local as my_asn;
	neighbor as my_asn;
	direct;
	graceful restart yes;

	rr client;

	ipv6 {
		import keep filtered;
		gateway recursive;
		missing lladdr ignore;

		import none;
		export filter {
			if source != RTS_BGP then reject;
			if net_local() then reject;
			if net_martian() then reject;
			accept;
		};
	};

	neighbor 2001:db8:1::1;
}

protocol bgp R2 {
	local as my_asn;
	graceful restart yes;
	neighbor 2001:db8:2::2 as 4242424242;
	multihop 2;

	ipv6 {
		import keep filtered;
		import filter {
			bgp_community.add((65535, 65281));
			if net ~ [ 2001:db8::/32{64,128} ] then accept;
			reject;
		};
		export filter {
			if net.len == 0 then accept;
			reject;
		};
	};
}

R1's config:

protocol device {
}

protocol bgp RR {
	local as my_asn;
	neighbor as my_asn;
	direct;
	graceful restart yes;

	ipv6 {
		import keep filtered yes;
		next hop self;
		import all;
		export filter {
			if source = RTS_BGP then accept;
			reject;
		};
		gateway recursive;
	};

	neighbor 2001:db8:1::100;
}

If this destillation is missing something, let me know, I can send you
the complete configs privately. But I doubt that there's anything
relevant in there.

Thanks for spending time on this!
Jan-Philipp Litza

--
Jan-Philipp Litza
PLUTEX GmbH

Hotline: 0800 100 400 800
Telefon: 0800 100 400 821
Telefax: 0800 100 400 888
E-Mail: support at plutex.de
Internet: http://www.plutex.de

USt-IdNr.: DE 815030856
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bremen, HRB 25144
Geschäftsführer: Torben Belz, Hendrik Lilienthal