'prefer older' does not work?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon May 13 14:19:27 CEST 2019

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 12:49:06PM +0300, Alexander Shikov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> All of our BGP peers have 'prefer older' option enabled.
> But I noticed that best route is not the oldest one:

Hi

The option 'prefer older' is a bit misnomer, it does not mean the one
with the oldest timestamp, but it means 'prefer current best route'.

So if route A was selected first, then route B was updated, and then route A
was updated again (so it has more recent timestamp), then route A is still
selected.